SHF GARDEN VISIT
- Sunday 7th August, 2016
- BARNETT HILL HOUSE
- Blackheath Lane, Wonersh, Guildford GU5 0RF
- 2.30 – 4.30 pm Cost now only £5 per head! Teas available
- By kind permission of Sundial Venues
Wonersh is south of Guildford on the Cranleigh road. As you approach the village from the north, turn left into Blackheath Lane – the signpost says Barnett Hill – and make your way slowly up the narrow lane. At the top of the hill turn right into Barnett Hill House –parking will be marked.
So that we can have an idea of numbers, if club Secretaries could inform the SHF secretary of roughly the number likely to attend this would be a great help!
OUR NEW WEBSITE IS GOING LIVE 7th JUNE!
Now is your chance to check out details for your clubs and let us know if anything is incorrect or needs to be changed. A lot of your 2016 events have been included! Find us at
Many thanks to Beth and Mark Otway for setting this up for us – you can find lots of other horticultural information and advertise plant sales etc. on her website: www.pumpkinbeth.com
Full details of the Open Garden at Monksfield House and Afternoon tea with Chris Beardshaw were given in the last Newsletter, and we understand there are still some tickets available, but here are some other gardens you might like to visit, and raise money for charity at the same time:-
- Shamley Green Open Gardens. Saturday and Sunday 2nd/3rd July.Free parking on Duck Pond Green, and teas available at Dene House. Contact Aurelle on 01483-892114 or Tony on 01483-898779. Tickets £8 for all gardens, to charity.
Want to go on an outing – these clubs are looking to fill coach spaces:-
- Haslemere. Outing to Blenheim Palace Flower Show, 17th June. Space available on luxury coach, leaving Haslemere Hall at 8.45 am – tickets £28 pp. Full details from Laurie Brown, on 01428-643585 or Roger Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
- Headley (Hants) Outing to Mottisfont Abbey and Hillier Arboretum. The society has a coach trip planned for Sunday 19th June to visit Mottisfont Abbey gardens for the Rose Festival and afterward a visit to Hilliers arboretum before returning home. The coach will be picking up around the Headley / Grayshott area from 8.45 – 9.00am. There are a dozen or so seats left available still, and if any of your members would be interested please call Fred Bell 01420489986 or email email@example.com. The price is £20.00 if National Trust member (£29.00 if not). We expect to be back around 6.00/6.30
JUDGES AND LECTURER’S GUILD.
Two new names for your lists:-
Floral Art Judge: Mrs Pat Freemantle
3 Blacknest Cottages, Chiddingfold Road, Dunsfold, Surrey, GU8 4PB
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Band A plus 25ppm, travels 25 miles radius of Dunsfold
Won many awards in flower arranging including Gold & Bronze medals at Chelsea NON NAFAS
Lecturer: Claire Brown
77 The Street, West Horsley, Leatherhead, Surrey. KT24 6BG. Tel: 01483-282261 Mob: 07813 456 865
Band : D plus 45ppm over 10 miles
7 talks listed, has a website and does have visits to her nursery by appointment if Club/Societies wish.
TRADING HUTS/SUNDRIES SALES.
Does your club have a trading hut? If so, then you may find Fargro Ltd., worth contacting, they have an special Allotment Society Price list and will deliver. Website:- www.fargro.co.uk or email: email@example.com or telephone 01903-726100
NEED SOME FUNDS FOR A WEBSITE, OR SOMETHING ELSE?
Ian Haussauer writes to say that from Bramshott, Liphook and District Horticultural Society were successful in obtaining £500 from the Grassroots Giving Campaign last year, and suggests anyone else fancy entering? Here are the details:-
Just to let you know that Skipton Building Society’s community funding scheme Grassroots Giving is now open for applications in 2016. This year we have £81,500 in funding – 163 pots of £500. If you were unsuccessful in last year’s Grassroots Giving programme please feel free to apply again this year at www.skiptongrg.co.uk
We’re looking forward to helping another 163 community groups in 2016! If you have any queries please email
GRGapply@skipton.co.uk Contact: Roy
RHS Dahlia Show
This is your chance to be part of the Wisley Flower Show. If you grow dahlias, why not enter the People’s Dahlia competition at the Wisley Flower Show in September? Just bring along one stem of your favourite home grown dahlia for judging and the chance to win a prize. All entries must arrive in the National Dahlia Society marquee (which will be situated in the centre of the show on 7 Acres) by 11am on either 10th or 11th September.Great selection of prizes up for grabs, including Plant Centre Vouchers.
Normal entry fees to Wisley apply. Any updates can be found on the Plant Society Event page.